Friday, August 23, 2013

A Two Lesson Day

We had our very first discussion/debate in my AP classes today. Out current topic is language and today we were to discuss whether or not the United States needs to make English our official language. I honestly didn't think that it would be that hot of a topic. Nor did I believe that some of my students would have such strong feelings about the topic on either side of the issue. I was wrong. I have AP two periods a day so I get to learn from my first hour. And today I learned. I had a simple discussion with a couple videos and other items prepared. Instead I learned these two lessons:
  • First, when the opportunity presents itself, change it up. First hour got so heated at times that I knew it was time to try something different with my fifth hour. I started fifth hour with a round robin debate. Four desks in the middle with the opportunity for classmates to tap in any time they had something to share. It gives a little order to the chaos, but I can't say there wasn't chaos. I feel bad that first hour missed out on the fun, but they will have other opportunities. Sometimes teaching is about being flexible, not only when things aren't going your way, but sometimes when things are going well. In this case, things were going better than anticipated and I needed to try something different to see if it would work. It worked, mostly, and now I know that it will definitely work when we get to more heated topics. I'm excited to keep trying this and I'm sure that future blog posts will explore this particular teaching method.
  • Second, it really is important to let them have their own opinions. Inevitably they will ask for a teacher's opinion and near the end of the period they asked me. I wouldn't tell them, at least not clearly. There are teachers out there who feel it is their duty, their responsibility as teachers to tell their students exactly what they think. I disagree. My job is to teach my students HOW to think, how to research what they think, and then how to effectively express what they think in a clear, concise way for a wider audience. I don't want them to shut down because they are afraid that I will give them a lower grade because I don't agree with them and I don't want them to avoid discussing their thoughts in class because they are afraid that I will knock them down several pegs for having a different opinion. The key for me isn't necessarily to change their opinions because I think they are wrong but to teach them how to 1) be open minded enough to listen to what someone on the opposing side has to say and 2) be knowledgeable enough about their topic to intelligently defend their position against someone with an opposing view. I realize this isn't not the opinion of some, but it is mine.
Today started out rough with a two and four year old clearly ready for a weekend, but overall the day was good. It was a good week. I'm exhausted and ready to start grading after a two day reprieve of having nothing to grade, but it was a good week. Now to start planning upcoming units. But maybe first I'll attend a football game.

No comments:

Post a Comment