Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Why Don't They Ask?

For help, that is.

It's a strange paradox of this generation. We complain that they are too dependent. That they need their hands held through every and any situation. We complain about helicopter parents who don't allow their children freedom and independence. But when they really need help, when the help is readily available for them and is there for the taking, they don't ask. I experienced it once again with my most recently assigned project. I had students trying to open videos on their Keynote presentations. They weren't able to do so because they hadn't inserted a hyperlink. When I asked why they hadn't done it they answered "I didn't know how." They had time in class. I was right there. It would have been a two minute tutorial. But they didn't ask.

There has to be a way to teach them that to ask is not to show weakness. To ask is to take control. To ask is to get knowledge. To ask is to gain power. Asking doesn't make them dependent. Asking will take them from dependence to independence.

I guess I have a new mini-mission. All I ask is that they ask when they need the help. I'm there for them. Most teachers are. We just need to convince them that we will give them help as willingly as we offer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment