Monday, August 19, 2013

Never Ahead, But Not Quite Behind

I start every year with the intention that this year I will be ahead. I still start the year with so much planned out that I will be well ahead for the first several weeks with no chance of getting so far behind that I will be drowned by the end of the quarter.

It never happens and it never fails that at some point during the quarter I will be so far behind that I will be drowning and swallowing back tears as I try to get everything done.

But right now I'm in a pretty sweet spot. I'm not ahead. My lessons are planned ahead, but I still have homework assignments from my AP classes to grade, a quiz to write, seating charts to rearrange for transfers in and out, and reading to do for two units from now. But it still isn't bad yet. All of that stuff is manageable and at this very moment I do not feel as if I am drowning. I guess that's for two weeks from now when all of my students have turned in projects and papers and I have to get started on grading them while maintaining the planning.

A teacher's work is never done and it is my curse as an English teacher intent on being good at my job that I will most likely spend the rest of my life until retirement always playing catch-up. At least right now I am still near the front of the pack. For the second week of school, I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment