Thursday, August 22, 2013

Sharing Their Language

Today's AP essay for discussion was Walt Whitman's "Slang in America." It's always fascinating to talk with students about slang: what's new, what's old, and to show them the evolutionary nature of the English language. Language is a living thing, and discussions about slang always bring that point home. It's usually fun, and sometimes a little dangerous, to have an open discussion about current slang. Today I learned all sorts of new words, which usually happens when we have that discussion.

Funny thing about that discussion, though. When they asked me what kids said "back in my day" (yeah, I tried really hard to let that slide) I couldn't remember. Language is so ingrained in us, it is such a part of who we are as people, that I just couldn't remember words that were considered slang when I was in high school.

Some days as a teacher we are lucky enough to plan lessons that serve the purpose of helping us connect with our students while teaching them both academic and life lessons. And we get to have fun doing it. Today was one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment