Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Classroom Is Ready

I am not an elementary school teacher. I was not blessed with the spacial sensibilities that allow elementary teachers to put together beautiful and creative bulletin boards multiple times a year. I teach high school where creatively decorated rooms are considered a bonus. My goal every year has been to gradually add more posters and personal items that encourage, inspire, and educate my students while also displaying my own personality. I started my first year with a meager set of posters. Some were a graduation gift from my academic adviser. I had a Star Wars:Episode 1 poster from my sisters. I love that poster. It not only truly displays my nerdiness but it is also a literal example of foreshadowing: A young Anakin Skywalker with the shadow of Darth Vader in the background. And finally I bought a couple posters with what little money I had left from my first paycheck.

Over the years I have bought a lot of items for the walls in my classroom. This year I finally feel like I have reached my quota of posters and wall paraphernalia. By the time I left my classroom after new student orientation today my room was pretty much exactly as I want it. It displays my personality, my likes, and has enough motivational posters to keep my students in high spirits all year long (that is if they actually look at the walls surrounding them). Here is my room. I'm pretty proud of it. It's ready for learning and I am ready to teach. Bring it on!




No comments:

Post a Comment