Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sometimes They Hate You

I don't like to be hated. I like to be liked. I think that most people do. But when you are a teacher who is determined to get the most out of your students sometimes the end result is hate. I can be flexible and I am flexible when I believe that it is the right situation, but there are times when flexibility does more harm than good.

I feel that right now is that point. I wrote about the importance of form a couple nights ago. Right now I have students upset because I'm sticking to my word. I'm not bending. And I get it. I really do. It seems unreasonable to be so inflexible. I don't believe that they are not following directions to spite me or to ignore me. I believe they are not following directions because they don't understand the importance of doing so and I've learned over the years that when I am too forgiving they don't learn. They start to think that it really isn't as important as I say it is. I want them to learn that it is important. I want them to understand that paying attention to directions is an important part of growing into adulthood. It's about more than just getting the points on a rubric; it's about training them for a future in a much less forgiving "real world."

And I'm off to explain to yet another student why I took points off. I realize that my desire to teach life lessons will be met with irritation, anger, frustration, and in some cases hatred, but I really do believe that it is for their own good. Hopefully someday they will see it that way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment